Writing & Book Consultation
Find and express your voice, harness the power of your inner critic, overcome creative obstacles, and write that book or memoir! (Or essay!) (Or article!) (Or short story!)
About the Consultation
I offer clients one-on-one sessions in the visioning, writing, and development editing of manuscripts. Client projects have ranged from memoir, personal essays, and short fiction to writing nonfiction books. Often I help clients create an accompanying educational program or speaker platform with their books. Sessions are 50-60 minutes long and are available via Zoom. Complete the contact form and request a free, confidential 15-minute consultation to briefly describe your goals and to see if we are a good fit to accomplish those goals together.
My Writing and Publications Background
For the past 25 years, I have been writing, publishing, and storytelling as well as facilitating others in these arts. I am a published author and poet, including seven books, hundreds of poems, and numerous essays, short stories, and articles. Please contact me for a full publications list. Our shared goal is helping you achieve your writing dreams!
Brainspot to Enhance Creativity
A speciality of mine is helping writers overcome obstacles to creativity and productivity with Brainspotting. Often I suggest a few Brainspotting sessions to assist writers with issues such as focus, the muse/inner critic, vision and goals, writer’s block, and performance anxiety. Click the blue box that says ‘Creativity Enhancement for Writers’ at the bottom of this page to learn more.
Sprouting the Seed of an Idea: Turn Your Vision into a Book Manuscript
Beginning with a seed of an idea, we will identify your core vision and clarify your intentions, motivations, audience, and goals for turning your story idea into a book manuscript.
I serve as your counselor, cheerleader, project manager, and writing chaperone! With my guidance, you will:
- Organize your thoughts, goals, and notes about your book project.
- Make sense of your many choices and translate them into an organized set of priorities.
- Develop a strategic, workable action plan.
- Implement your plan by setting and meeting goals with compassionate accountability. Life happens, and your plan will be responsive to your shifting needs. I will help you find creative ways to stay focused in order to accomplish your goals.
Development Editing: Craft Your First Draft into a Book Manuscript
Beginning with a written first draft, craft your manuscript into an accessible, organized, and relevant book that reaches your target audience.
We will focus on structure and content while maintaining a consistent tone that speaks to your ideal reader. Though no two clients are the same, this process typically follows these steps:
- Schedule a meeting to discuss goals, structure, tone, and target audience for the book.
- I will broadly read the book and provide a general strategic analysis of the next steps that include an assessment of areas such as: How the book achieves client goals; is consistent in tone, theme, and structure; targets the primary audience; and moves the reader along to a compelling end.
- After another meeting to discuss the analysis, work begins on the book. You may take my notes, make suggested changes as you choose, and provide a next draft. You can also request that I sit side-by-side and directly assist with writing the book.
- The process of reading, assessing, collaborating, and client editing/re-writing continues until you are satisfied with the final draft. Though I ask questions and make suggestions, the book will be written in your unique style. You will feel proud to put your name on that finished manuscript!
What Others Have to Say
“Don’t tell anyone that every time I write now I feel stronger in my own voice. A thousand times, thank you.”
– P. C., Educator
“The most important benefit of our working together is that you listened and gave me back myself. You got me to reflect on my own motivations and impulses, not to mention my own life.”
– C. L., Business Owner
"I came to Ya’el with hundreds of poems that I had written over decades. After three days, I left with a printed collection of one of the most intimate expressions of who I am. Thank you for your gentle dose of poetry Rx!"
– R. J., Attorney and Sign Language Interpreter
“I not only got a book out of my work with Ya’el, I also got an education in how to write while discovering my authentic voice along the way. And her professionalism is stellar."
– J. C., Author and Educator
"Ya'el worked with me to craft my memoir into a streamlined piece of art. It was an enjoyable collaborative effort, working as if with one mind, respectfully and meticulously. I recommend her wholeheartedly."
– C. H., Author and Nonprofit Executive
“Ya’el is a visionary. She has a brilliant ability to see the whole fabric of my story even while I am weaving its threads.”
-C. Y., Author and Business Owner
"Ya'el was an enormous help in moving my memoir forward towards publication. She was always on time, kept excellent records, and maintained a cheerful, uplifting attitude, even when my own mood was less than cheerful. Our collaboration taught me a great deal about the craft of writing."
– C. H., Author and Nonprofit Executive